Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    What is all this nonsense? Frank Sinatra is mediocre at best...He's got a couple mildly decent songs I guess, like Summer Wind, and his Only the Lonely album has this late-night melancholy vibe that I like, but by and large he just made all these boring-ass white bread lounge songs, and some of it is just laughably idiotic. Even at his worst, Kanye has never made a song as atrocious as "My Way." Dear god, that song is so horrible on every level (cheesy chords, stupid melodramatic production, the pathetically embarrassing lyrics, etc). Seriously, fuck that song.

Kanye's public persona might be a little grating for some people (I personally find him fun and entertaining, but I obviously get why someone would be annoyed with his antics). Still, there's no denying that his albums are fucking solid. Obviously Sinatra has his a certain historical significance, mainly just for becoming this kind of brand-name cultural icon for that generation, but if we're gonna talk about the quality of his actual songs, come on, he really isn't that good. I don't care if he lived for ten thousand years, he'd still never be able to put out an album as awesome as Late Registration or Graduation. I feel like this should be obvious to pretty much every person under 70.

In fact, what the hell do these two dudes even have to do with each other? This whole comparison is just weird.
    The comparison is weird. It's like comparing a Ford Pinto with a Bentley.

I respect your opinion and POV, and this is just me giving my opinion, but I disagree.

People have been listening to Frank for over 60 years. Let's see if people listen to Graduation in 2075. It's all subjective and a matter of personal taste, but to me it isn't even close. Frank's albums (especially from the 50's) blow away anything Kayne has ever released. I don' know why people "under 70" should automatically prefer Kayne West over Frank. I personally don't understand what's so awesome about Kanye West and I'm 35. His music is sort of interesting, but it's not really my thing and his stupid posturing is just, well, stupid, IMHO.

And I love "My Way," although Frank didn't. "September of my Years" is one of the greatest songs ever recorded by old blue eyes--such feeling, so beautifully written and arranged--far better and more meaningful than anything Kayne could perform or write.

Frank is in a class all by himself, second to none.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 05-25-2015 at 06:55 PM.